The American Water Works Association
, and the Texas Section AWWA, are dedicated to the promotion of a safe and sufficient supply of drinking water for all people through a proactive effort to influence governmental policies and supporting membership and consumer educational opportunities. OUR HISTORY
Recognizing a need to share experiences, knowledge and problems in order to improve their abilities to provide safe and sufficient water supplies to an ever growing region, pioneers in the water profession in the southwest originally created the the Southwestern Water Works Association in May of 1912.
In 1927, the name changed to the Southwest Water Works Association and included water professionals from Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. In the late 1960s, the advantages of a separate section for Texas became apparent to members, and on December 1, 1971, the Texas Section of AWWA was created.
Since then, the Section has grown to become the second largest of AWWA's 43 sections, with over 3,500 volunteers committed to advancing the technology, science, and governmental polices as water professionals and stewards of the water resources of Texas and the public water supplies.